Monday, January 10, 2011

To The Left, To The Left

Most people back in their cars in Japan.
Japanese stop sign.






Beginner driver sticker.  We need to have 2 of these on our car for the first year.


As previously noted in one of my other posts,  the Japanese drive on the left side of the road.  This is quite different coming from a country where we drive on the right side of the road.  Luckily, training is provided so that we can be successful drivers here in Japan.  The Japanese believe that anyone who has their drivers license is a professional driver. 

Last week, Justin and I attended a half-day drivers safety course.  We received a booklet early in the week that explained road signs, rules of the road, etc.  There was a lot of interesting information, but it was also overwhelming.  There are/can be many repercussions if you get a ticket, into an accident, or God forbid, injure a Japanese National.  What we learned was enough to scare us, and make sure that we're always thinking safety first when on the road (even on a bicycle) here in Japan.  At the end of our training we had to take a 50 question written exam.  70% of the test was knowing the different Japanese road signs.  I thought the exam was a bit tricky especially since it was multiple choice.  The minimum passing score was 80%. When all the tests were graded, the instructor called out assigned numbers.  If your number was called, then you didn't pass.  Luckily, Justin and I passed and were able to sign up for the practical driving test.

I took the practical driving test today and it went fine.  There were 2 other people in the backseat waiting to take their test.  It felt like drivers training all over again.  On the drivers test you have to pass with a minimum of 80%...I got 81%.  Not sure what I did wrong, but  I am glad that its over and done with.  Justin takes his test on Friday, and I have no doubt in my mind that he'll do an excellent job.

No comments:

Post a Comment