Sunday, October 20, 2013

Leaving The Land of The Rising Sun

We are still awaiting our orders to return back to the United States.  If all goes as planned, we should be home a little before Christmas.....just in time to celebrate with family and friends we haven't seen since we left on our adventure back in 2010.  

I was warned before I moved to Japan that I wouldn't want to leave there when it was time to return home. At that time, I really didn't understand what that meant, but now I get it.  While I'll be happy to be able to read signs easily, order off a menu, get certain food ingredients at the local market, re-connect with those I love, etc. I will certainly miss this country, the Japanese people, the friends and family I've met/gained here, the cuteness, amazing customer service even at the local 7-Eleven, and how I've been able to put my worries about safely on the back-burner here.  I basically have been living in a Fantasy land on this great, but extended Asian vacation.

Last weekend I came across a very moving and fitting article (see below) in our favorite Ex-pat magazine.  I felt as if the article had my name written all over it, so I decided to scan it.  I'm trying to prepare myself, and those around me (sorry)  for the reverse culture shock that will likely occur.  I have a plan to combat and work through the culture shock, but I welcome any tips or strategies for dealing with the change.   


Here are some of the reasons me, and others love Japan.  Its been circulating around social media this week, so some of you may have already read it.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ashleyperez/27-reasons-we-should-all-be-moving-to-japan

I'm grateful that we had this opportunity and I look forward to telling everyone back at home about our time here. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment